Innovation City Belfast
Belfast – a region which punches way above its weight when it comes to research excellence and innovation.Feb 14, 2022
Belfast – a region which punches way above its weight when it comes to research excellence and innovation. A nidus for next-gen solutions, a catalytic centre for creative industries, and a mecca for manufacturing, and more.
Its real strength though lies in its collaborative culture and network of SMEs, start-ups, researchers, academics, indigenous companies, and international corporations.
Innovation City Belfast (ICB) aims to build on these solid foundations to not only make the city a better place for those who already live, work, and play here, but a destination where global organisations want to be.
The ICB consortium, combining six of Belfast’s six anchor institutions (Belfast City Council, Belfast Harbour, Catalyst, Invest NI, Queen’s University Belfast, and Ulster University), will harness the knowledge, resources, talent, and skillsets on our shores to establish Belfast as a world-class hub for investment and innovation.
With particular focus on FinTech, GreenTech, MedTech, and CyberSec, and delivery of ground-breaking advancements in the creative industries, ICB will look to maximise the impact of the recently signed £1 billion Belfast Region City Deal to power economic growth, create more and better job opportunities, and drive digital innovation, region wide.
Innovation City Belfast’s vision is to:
- Develop a major ‘Innovation District’ from Queen’s Island to York Street – a prime location for global entities to position their European headquarters and where latest research from our universities can be rapidly translated into world-class products and solutions
- Build a city-centre focused ‘Smart District’ harnessing technologies to thrive in a post-pandemic landscape
- Create a ‘Smart Port’ within Belfast Harbour that will revolutionise green tech and sustainable growth
- Invest in people, places, and technology to secure the workforce of tomorrow
- Ensure Belfast remains a global leader for innovation and a frontrunner for capital investment
For more information, visit Innovation City Belfast